Overview of the Tenuta di Gracciano
A wine estate between Cortona and Montepulciano.
The Gracciano Estate lies in the lush and ample Chiana valley which runs south of Florence from Arezzo to Orvieto. The valley is above all renowned for its wine, the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and the succulent T-bone steaks from the wide-horned white Chianina cattle.
This area between Montepulciano and Cortona was described by Frances Mayes in her bestseller „Under the Tuscan Sun“. Her beautifully written memoir about taking chances, living in Italy, loving a house, and, always, the pleasures of food encaptures the delights of a Tuscan holiday. Mayes often portrays life in Cortona as timeless, and this sense of serendipity is only one of the reasons to come to Gracciano.
The Tenuta di Gracciano belonged to the Svetoni family since the beginning of the 1800’s. From this family of historic wine makers from Montepulciano the property passed down some 40 years ago to the present owners, the della Seta family from Florence.
The estate extends over 100 hectares of which 20 are planted with vines. The vineyards are spread over the Gracciano hills at 300 meters above sealevel, one of the best wine-growing areas of Montepulciano. Fields and woodland form a picturesque patchwork over the rest of the estate surrounding the Maramai farmhouse which can be rented by the week.
HOUSES ON THIS ESTATE AVAILABLE FOR WEEKLY RENTAL
Number of beds : 2
Number of beds : 5
Maramai lies in immediate vicinity of 2 villages whith all the necessary shops, but from the house all you can see are fields, olive groves and vineards.
- Montepulciano 7 km – 10 min
- Pienza 20 km – 25 min
- Cortona 25 km – 35 min
- Cetona 30 km – 35 min
- Arezzo 50 km – 45 min
- Siena 60 km – 1 hr
- Orvieto 65 km – 1 hr
- Perugia 60 km – 1 hr
- Florence 115 km – 1 hr 25 min
- Rome 185 km – 2 hr 15 min
- Pisa 190 km – 2 hr 10 min
Activities & Places of interest
- The favorable microclimate, the exposure of the vineyards, and the clay and limestone soil combine to produce a full-bodied yet supple and elegant wine. The careful management of the estate has improved the quality year by year, through a drastic reduction of the yields (now only 35-40 hl/ha), and the purchase of new French oak casks for the ageing of the wine. The cellars can be visited by guests of Maramai by appointment and different vintages of Vino Nobile and Rosso di Montepulciano can be purchased here. The familiy’s own olive oil, produced in small quantities for family and friends, is also for sale.
- The house is surrounded by 3 villages at a distance of 1 to 3 km. Here you will find shops, cafés, newsstands, banks and simple restaurants. In the house you will find a detailed list of restaurants we recommend in the surroundings. The hospital of Montepulciano is 5 km away.
- Florence et Siena, Tuscany’s most important cultural milestones, are easy to reach from Gracciano.
- Città della Pieve – one of Umbria’s jewels 35 km, Arezzo with its famous cycle of frescoes by Piero della Francesca 50 km (45 min), Siena 60 km (1.15 hours drive), Orvieto 70 km (1 hour), Florence 110 km (1 h 30 min).
- San Casciano dei Bagni with its luxurious spa in a Medici villa, 35 km.
- Fashion addicts can splurge out at the famous Prada factory outlet, which lies on to road to Florence.
- There are tennis courts in the next village at 1 km
- While bikes can be hired in the same village.
- Guides are available to take you round the area. Hiking is wonderful here, especially in the nearby Orcia Valley.