Maramai, now a charming country house, used to be a small farm with 3 separate buildings. It is named after the Tuscan farmer’s family who lived there until the early ’70s. The ground floor of the main house was used for storage while cattle were tethered in the vaulted room. The family would live on the second floor and the central room with the big chimneypiece used to be the kitchen.
The other tall building – we call it the dépendance – was used for drying tobacco, a major crop in the region (a typical Italian cigar is called “toscano”), and the small elongated building behind, now the pool house, used to be a pigsty.
The house was renovated between 2000 to 2003 and transformed into a comfortable country house with modern facilities that could be lived in all year round. The ground floor is light and spacious with many doors opening onto the garden. A remarkable massive stone table under a pergola of vine is the perfect spot for al fresco dining.
The living room with fireplace on the upper floor used to be the farm's kitchen. A door leads to the original outdoor stairs which have been kept even though indoor stairs were added. The house was given a special flair by mixing and matching traditional rustic furniture from Brasil, Mexico and India.
The house comfortably sleeps 9 plus a further person on the sofabed in the dépendance. The house can be rented without the dépendance at a reduced rate for a maximum of 7 guests.
Meet the owners, and see more of the house and the surrounding estate on this VIDEO.
Amenities and services
- Private pool: 11 x 5m
- Internet access
- Hifi stereo
- Maid service
- Bed & bath linens
- Baby equipment
- Final cleaning
- First shopping
- Arrival dinner
- Maid service
- Central heating
Floorplan of the villa
Living room with sofa bed
Hall with fireplace and comfortable armchairs
Large living room with French windows on 2 sides
Dining room/ kitchen with French window onto terrace
Living room with open fireplace and TV
2 double bedrooms with en-suite bathroom
1 twin bedroom with en-suite bathroom
1 single with bathroom
About 2 acres melting into the surrounding fields
Terrace behind the house with pergola for dining outdoors
Swimming pool 11 x 5 m with artificial waves. Depth of pool: min. 1m max. 1,50m.
ESTATE: Tenuta di Gracciano
A wine estate between Cortona and Montepulciano.
The Gracciano Estate lies in the lush and ample Chiana valley which runs south of Florence from Arezzo to Orvieto. The valley is above all renowned for its wine, the Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and the succulent T-bone steaks from the wide-horned white Chianina cattle.
This area between Montepulciano and Cortona was described by Frances Mayes in her bestseller „Under the Tuscan Sun“. Her beautifully written memoir about taking chances, living in Italy, loving a house, and, always, the pleasures of food encaptures the delights of a Tuscan holiday. Mayes often portrays life in Cortona as timeless, and this sense of serendipity is only one of the reasons to come to Gracciano.
The Tenuta di Gracciano belonged to the Svetoni family since the beginning of the 1800’s. From this family of historic wine makers from Montepulciano the property passed down some 40 years ago to the present owners, the della Seta family from Florence.
The estate extends over 100 hectares of which 20 are planted with vines. The vineyards are spread over the Gracciano hills at 300 meters above sealevel, one of the best wine-growing areas of Montepulciano. Fields and woodland form a picturesque patchwork over the rest of the estate surrounding the Maramai farmhouse which can be rented by the week.
- The favorable microclimate, the exposure of the vineyards, and the clay and limestone soil combine to produce a full-bodied yet supple and elegant wine. The careful management of the estate has improved the quality year by year, through a drastic reduction of the yields (now only 35-40 hl/ha), and the purchase of new French oak casks for the ageing of the wine. The cellars can be visited by guests of Maramai by appointment and different vintages of Vino Nobile and Rosso di Montepulciano can be purchased here. The familiy’s own olive oil, produced in small quantities for family and friends, is also for sale.
- The house is surrounded by 3 villages at a distance of 1 to 3 km. Here you will find shops, cafés, newsstands, banks and simple restaurants. In the house you will find a detailed list of restaurants we recommend in the surroundings. The hospital of Montepulciano is 5 km away.
- Florence et Siena, Tuscany’s most important cultural milestones, are easy to reach from Gracciano.
- Città della Pieve – one of Umbria’s jewels 35 km, Arezzo with its famous cycle of frescoes by Piero della Francesca 50 km (45 min), Siena 60 km (1.15 hours drive), Orvieto 70 km (1 hour), Florence 110 km (1 h 30 min).
- San Casciano dei Bagni with its luxurious spa in a Medici villa, 35 km.
- Fashion addicts can splurge out at the famous Prada factory outlet, which lies on to road to Florence.
GUEST REVIEWS, Maramai, Tenuta di Gracciano
- Montepulciano 7 km
- Pienza 14 km
- Cortona 18 km
- Cetona 30 km
- Arezzo 40 minutes
- Siena 1 hour
- Orvieto 1 hour
- Perugia 1 hour
- Florence 1 ¼ hour
- Rome 2 hours
- Pisa 2 hours