Maremma Tuscany Coast  » Marsiliana Estate
Overview of the Marsiliana estate
Where Tuscany embraces the sea
From the distance, Marsiliana might look like a castle, but as you reach the top of the hill and drive through the gate it resembles an informal hamlet. The surrounding 2800 Ha property is comparable to a natural preserve where wild boars, porcupines, roebucks, tortoises, badgers and herons live in an undisturbed surrounding.
A lesser known and therefore all the more captivating part of Tuscany, the Maremma extends along the southern Tuscan coast. As it moves away from the sea, the land slowly rises, shaping hills covered in olive groves, fields and woods. The hamlet of Marsiliana stands on top of the first small hill, only 14 kms from the sea. It is the centre of a property which consists mainly of woodland and mediterranean macchia. The views from the Castello della Marsiliana are marvelous, looking out onto the sea to one direction, onto olive groves, farstretching fields and rolling hills on the other.
The Estate was originally 8000 Hectares, reduced to 3000 by state expropriation. Over 95% remains woodland, and of the remaining 150, just 18 hectares of the finest land has been transformed into vineyards by Duccio Corsini, since 1995. In 1759 the Corsini family brought agriculture to the previously malaria infested swamp that was the Maremma. Today it is the new frontier for Tuscan agriculture. Here Duccio continues to forge new ground and is at the forefront of those bringing new wine making techniques to the region.
- Marsiliana, the hamlet with a supermarket and café 1 km
- Albinia and the beach 10 km
- Saturnia hot springs 40 minutes
- Porto Ercole 30 minutes
- Rome 2 hours
- Florence 2,45 hours
- Siena 2 hours
- Pisa 2,30 hours
Activities & Places of interest
- The beach at 14 kms from Marsiliana is of fine white sand. Generally the water is warm enough to swim from mid May to mid October.
- The wine estate: Marsiliana has an ambitious and interesting wine production. It is possible to have a visit of the cellars followed by a tasting.
- The WWF Maremma National Park: The Park encompasses seven towers, the remains of an abbey and twenty six grottoes. In summer the National Park can only be visited accompanied by a guide. Visits by night from 8 to 11 pm are a special thrill. At 30 minutes from Marsiliana.
- The Etruscans: a trip through what was known as Etruria is one of the most interesting archaeological excursions in Italy. Tarquinia and Tuscania, only 30 kms away from the Marsiliana estate, boast worldwide famous archeological excavations which should not be missed.
- Monte Argentario: only 20 Minutes from Marsiliana lies the Monte Argentario, a peninsula connected with the mainland by three dams. The Monte Argentario is known for its fine coastline, rich mediterranean vegetation and the two jet set harbours Porto Ercole and Porto Santo Stefano.
- The Tarot-Garden of Niki de Saint-Phalle: on one of the hills not far from Marsiliana the famous french artist hs built her „Jardin des Tarots“, twenty two giant sculptures inspired by the figures of the magic tarot cards. Children love it!
- The islands and hiring a boat: In Porto Santo Stefano, 30 minutes drive from Marsiliana, you can hire boat which will take you to te islands of Giglio and Giannutri off the Tuscan coast. Giglio has a charming main village and castle, and many creeks hidden between the cliffs. Giannutri, its bare coastline dominated by the ruins of a Roman villa overlooking the sea, recalls some of the Greek islands, which deep-sea divers can look for sunken Roman galeons on the sea bed.
- The hot springs of Saturnia: Tuscany is famous for its hot springs. Saturnia, at only 40 minutes from Marsiliana, is the most spectacular, with hot waterfalls in the middle of nature. In summer one might prefer coming here in the evening or even better, at night.
- Surfing and kitesurfing: main feature of the Maremma is… the thermal wind, from April to September. The beaches of Castiglione, Talamone, Giannella and Capalbio provide suitable spots for any kind of wind condition, where you can practice FreeStyle, Waveriding and long downwind.
- Tennis: you will find tennis courts at 5 km from Marsiliana, half way between the castle and the village of Albinia.
Golf:there are two golf courses in the region.
18 holes, 70 par, only 30 min. drive away and
http://www.termedisaturnia.it/en/golf 35 km from Marsiliana, has 18 holes, Par 72. The famous Punta Ala Club is 1 hour by car, it has 18 holes, Par 72.
Prepare your trip
Prepare your trip by downloading more info about the estate, the area, sights, shopping facilities, sports, beaches, restaurants and trattorias, wineries and literature references.
Download more info about the estate and the surroundings