Overview of the Rocca d’Orso
Villa dell’Orso is situated on the northern tip of Sardinia, whithin the famous promontory of Capo d’Orso, an unspoiled and protected stretch of coast known for its crystal clear sea water and perfectly smooth granite rocks in the most extraordinary shapes. The surrounding countryside that has no equal in Sardinia or even in the Mediterranean area as a whole.
Only a few km away lies the fishing harbour Palau, just in front of the National Park of the Arcipelago della Maddalena. Here you will find a good choice of shops and restaurants.
At Palau, it is simple to hire small boats; the smooth waters of the sea at Palau are considered to be a yachtsman’s paradise.
A short sea journey aboard the town’s ferry deposits visitors on the stunning island of La Maddalena, where Italian freedom fighter Garibaldi lived. The group of islands (Caprera, Spargi, Budelli, La Vezzi and Cavallo) around la Maddalena is renowned for its beauty and was turned into a National Park not long ago.
Only five kilometres from Palau are Punta Sardegna and Porto Rafael, elegant resorts for understated people in the know.
The millionaires’ playground Porto Cervo and Porto Rotondo are thirty to forty kilometres away, here you can while away hours gazing at hundreds of yachts or browsing exclusive boutiques.
Just a quarter of an hour’s drive from the house are magnificent beaches, such as the Isola dei Gabbiani, a much sought-after destination for windsurfers and kitesurfers.
Ferries link Palau to La Maddalena, Genoa and Naples.
HOUSES ON THIS ESTATE AVAILABLE FOR WEEKLY RENTAL
Number of beds : 12
The small fishing harbour of Palau lies 5 km away. Here you will find a large choice of shops as well as a post office, bank and newsagent.
- Palau 5 km – 10 min
- Porto Cervo 30 km – 40 min
- Porto Rotondo 40 km – 50 min
- Olbia (airport) 40 km – 50 min
- Bonifacio (in Corsica) – 1 hr 15 min
- Sassari 120 km – 2 hr
- Alghero 155 km – 2 hr 20 min
Activities & Places of interest
- Porto Rafael: the village was built in the ‘60ies by count Rafael Neville, a member of the international jet-set. Following his footsteps a number of villas were built around the small port by people in search of unspoilt coasts and cristal clear water.
- The Costa Smeralda and the jet-set seaside Porto Cervo and Porto Rotondo are at a distance of 35 to 40 km from Punta Sardegna. Porto Cervo was named after its enchanting cove, which looks like the antlers of a deer (cervo).
- Catch a ferry from Palau to Isola della Maddalena, the main island of an archipelago of seven islands and 40 islets, classified as a national park: Parco Nazionale dell’Arcipelago di La Maddalena.
They can be visited by boat over the day. The village of La Maddalena is the oldest settlement of the area. You can cross the channel by ferry, even for dinner in one of the restaurants of La Maddalena.
- Important archaelogical stone age tombs are within 20 kms
- The Trenino Verde (079 24 57 40; www.treninoverde.com in Italian) is an old-world train that runs from Palau twice daily to the hilltop town Tempio Pausania.
- In the charming harbour of Porto Rafael you will find the Yacht Club Punta Sardegna. Once a year in August together with the Yacht Club Costa Smeralda they organise the famous Formenton regatta.The Yacht Club de Porto Rafael rents out dinghys (rubber boats) of different sizes. Sailing boats can be chartered at the harbour of Palau. The clear waters of the bay are considered a paradise for amateur sailors.
- A 15 minute drive from the house you will find Porto Pollo–Isola dei Gabbiani, the Sardinian “surf and kite paradise”, 7 km of beaches in two large bays. There is allways enough wind and windsurfers and kitesurfers meet to challenge eachother at impressive speed. There are sailing schools, schools for windsurfing and kitesurfing, equipment can be hired on the spot.
- Furthermore, this part of the Sardinian coast offers possibilities for scuba diving, snorkeling, open-ocean-kayak, tennis, mountain biking and beach volley. Scuba diving schools will give lessons at all levels and organise fascinating excursions.
- Mountain bikers will find several routes along the coast and inland. Bikes can be rented in Palau.
- The opportunities for walks or proper hikes are rich and varied in this part of Sardinia.