OVERVIEW Villa Fontanili-Lentisco
Surrounded by trees, the Villa Fontanili stands in extensive landscaped grounds which blend into the olive groves and fields of the estate. The beach, 3km from the villa, is made of fine sand with a multitude of colourful seashells.
Villa Fontanili has been carefully and lovingly restored. It houses four self-contained, terraced apartments which elegantly combine light, taste, ease and clean modern comfort.
The ground-floor apartments Lentisco and Mirto have a generous layout. The living rooms both have open fireplaces and comfortable upholstery. The gardens are equipped with a table and chairs for al fresco meals.
Hidden from the house by rose and lavender bushes is the 18 x 6m swimming pool with an adjoining paddling pool. A roof on pillars which used to serve as farm storage has restored and transformed into an summer living room, an ideal place for lazy summer afternoons in the cool summer breeze.
A country road leads through sweet smelling Mediterranean maquis from the villa Fontanili to the private gate leading to the beach. Deck chairs and sunbeds are available, as well as a shower and a shady parking space.
Further down the beach you will find two lovely beach clubs – one simple and the other trendy – where you can have coffee, drinks or a light lunch.
Amenities and services
Villa is equiped with:
- Pool: 18 x 6m
- Fenced Pool
- Internet access
- Hifi stereo
- Satellite TV
- Dogs welcome
- Bed & bath linens
- Baby equipment
- Final cleaning
- A few bycicles are available on the premises
Service on request:
- First shopping
- Arrival dinner
- Central heating
Floorplan of the villa
Entrance with dining table
Living room with open fireplace
1 double bedroom with French window onto the garden
2 twin bedrooms
Pool 18×6 mt.
Loggia with tables, chairs and easy chairs
Vegetable and herb garden
Playground for children
Ping pong table
Bycicles for adults and children
The estate of Fontanili lies in an area called Maremma, a lesser known and therefore all the more captivating part of Tuscany extending south towards Latium. It is a region which conjures up memories of foregone times, a world of large estates, generations of old families, harvests, summers and the sea.
One is almost tempted to believe that this untamed landscape owes its mystique to the lingering presence of the Etruscans, an ancient civilisation remembered for their peace-loving and hedonistic way of life who lived and farmed here centuries before Christ.
Over the past fifteen years the area has become a favourite spot for a certain Italian intellectual elite seeking the charm of the Tuscan way of life enriched by the joys of an unspoilt seaside.
A wide strip of fertile land separates the sea from the mountains. It is here that the house Fontanili stands, surrounded by trees and a charming garden. The estate extends over 260 hectares of olive groves and sunflower-fields. On the map you will find it roughly half-way between Rome and Grosseto, surrounded by the cultural landmarks of Tarquinia, Tuscania, Orbetello and Viterbo, which all are more or less half an hour‘s drive away.
The estate is managed by the owner Verio Piroddi, descendant of the princely family Ludovisi Boncompagni, who was awarded the property in 1870 by the Pope in order to avoid confiscation by the newly unified Italian Monarchy.
The estate of Fontanili used to cover the vast area of 4.600 hectares until the agrarian reform in 1953 redimensioned the property, redistributing the expropriated land to the former peasants of the property. The estate employs three farmers who live in the vicinity.
The ascent of the Boncompagni Ludovisi family goes back to Ugo Boncompagni, a brilliant lawyer from Bologna who represented the Vatican at the Council of Trent and was elected Pope in 1572, taking the name of Gregory XIII. He is remembered as thoroughly imbued with the cosciousness of the great responsability of his position, combatting all ecclesiastical abuses and appointing one day a week for a public audience during which everyone had access to him. The gregorian calender which we use today goes back to Gregory XIII.Read more about Fontanili
- From a holidayer‘s point of view the private beach of Fontanili is a real asset, only four kilometers from the house. A back road leads to a private gate to which the guests are given a key. The beach is of fine sand with a multitude of coloured shells. Behind the beach, the dunes are covered with a labyrinth of wild aromatic bushes such as myrtle and cistus-roses which blossom at different times of the year. Two cafés down the beach have coffé, ice-cream and also serves light meals.
- Lake Burano: the estate of Fontainili borders on the Lake Burano, a lagoon run by the WWF. The bird-watching here is excellent, above all in spring and autumn.
- The Parco dell’Uccellina, officially the Parco Nazionale Maremmano, is a rewarding place for nature lovers. Marked footpaths will lead you through incredibly beautiful pine woods to hidden creeks, past romantic ruins of fortified watch towers to the abbey of San Rabano, built by monks who arrived from Rhodes in the X century.
- Vulci is another natural park of the WWF. The castle called “Castello dell’Abbadia” has become the National Archeological Museum of Vulci with a beautiful collection of ceramics, sculptures and bronzes. We recommend a walk over the Roman bridge of l’Abbadia. From here, on foot or by car, you may reach the remains of the Etruscan and Roman town of Vulci called “La Civita”. The area has become an archeological park and offers a choice of many walks.
- Tarquinia is world famous for its Etruscan tombs and frescoes. The necropolis of Tarquinia is on the outskirts of town and easy to find. In town the beautiful 15th century Palazzo Vitelleschi is now the Archeological Museum.
- Tuscania: dating back to the Etruscan period, it became an important fortification in the middle-ages. The two romanic churches of Santa Maria Maggiore are remarkable. A walk through the center of the town is rewarding.
- Monte Argentario: only half an hour from Fontanile lies the Monte Argentario, a peninsula connected with the mainland by three dams. The Monte Argentario is known for its fine coastline, rich mediterranean vegetation and the two jet set harbours Porto Ercole and Porto Santo Stefano.
- The Tarot-Garden of Niki de Saint-Phalle: on one of the hills not far from Fontanili the famous french artist hs built her „Jardin des Tarots“, twenty two giant sculptures inspired by the figures of the magic tarot cards. Children love it!
- Villa Lante, Bagnaia- Viterbo: one of Italy’s most stunning Renaissance gardens. At 80 kms, just over an hours drive. Can be combined with a visit to
- Palazzo Farnese in Caprarola, one of Italy’s most stunning Renaissance buildings. The Scala Regia is an elaborate stone spiral staircase that let Cardinal Alessandro Farnese (later Pope Paul III) reach the bedrooms on horseback. The Palazzo contains masterpieces by some of the most important painters and architects of the period.
- Sovana, Sorano and Pitigliano are three towns at 1 h drive. Sovana boasts a magnificent Etruscan necropolis and 2 remarkable Romanic churches. Pitigliano is a medieval town high up on a crest, with a Jewish community dating back to the 16th c. It is also known for the white wine Bianco di Pitigliano. The Medieval town of Sorano spreads at the foot of the 14th century Orsini Castle.
(rates in € / week)2023
|Beds||Nights||Low season||Mid season||Mid season 2||High season|
* Low season :11 February - 1 April 2023, 23 September - 4 November 2023
* Mid season :1 April - 27 May 2023, 9 - 23 September 2023
* Mid season 2 :27 May - 8 July 2023, 2 September - 9 September 2023
* High season :8 July - 2 September 2023
GUEST REVIEWS, Villa Fontanili-Lentisco, Fontanili
The flat exceeded expectations. The equipment in the house and garden is very satisfactory. Perhaps a microwave could be added. A cake plate is missing. We very much appreciated the fact that the owner turned on the swimming pool as opposed to what was planned. This was very caring of him. The vegetable garden was a very pleasant surprise. Excellent welcome, a charming and very welcoming owner, same for the secretary. We were very pleased to be able to buy the olive oil from the property. We think that the owner could even advertise it a little more to let the tenants know that it is possible to buy olive oil from the estate.Ms CH. P.A., France
Our family had a great time at this villa. It has everything you need and much more for a great beachfront vacation in Italy. The private access to the beach is definitely the best highlight of all!T.Y., USA 01/09/2022
Wir haben zwei wunderbare Wochen im Haus Lentisco von I Fontanili in der Maremma verbracht. Das Haus war wunderbar; grosszügig und sehr geschmackvoll eingerichtet. Die Küche war sehr zweckmässig. Besonders genossen haben wir auch den grossen Garten, wo wir dem Sonnenstand entsprechend immer wieder eine neue geruhsame Ecke fanden. Ganz angenehm war auch der Zugang zum praktisch menschenleeren Strand, mit eigenem Parkplatz. Dank der ausgezeichneten Informationen von Trust&Travel haben wir in der Umgebung viele interessante und schöne Plätze kennen gelernt. Besonders gefallen hat uns Vulci mit dem kleinen Museum. Alles war wie erwartet und entsprach dem Bild, das wir uns basierend auf den Unterlagen machen konnten. Wir haben vollumfänglich "vertraut" (trusted) und sind gereist (travelled) und wurden keinen Moment enttäuscht. Wir möchten einzig eine kleine Anregung machen. Die Qualität der Matratze dürfte besser sein. Nicht, dass sie zu alt wäre, einfach die simple Schaumstoffmatratze kommt nicht an eine gute Matratze heran, wie wir es gewohnt sind. Das gleiche gilt auch für das Sofa, zwar sehr geschmackvoll, aber doch ein bisschen stark in Form gesessen. Der Kontakt zum Besitzer resp. der verantwortlichen Person war ausgezeichnet. Auf die Frage, ob alles i.O sei und wir erwähnt hatten, dass das Bett nicht ganz ideal sei, hat der Besitzer umgehend versucht mit einer separaten Bett-Auflage unser Schlafbefinden noch etwas zu optimieren. Wir können trust&travel mit gutem Gewissen weiter empfehlen. Wir bedanken uns auch für den reibungslosen Ablauf beim Organisieren des Hauses, bei den Zahlungsmodalitäten und für das zweckmässige Informationsmaterial.N.& S.K, Schweiz 14/10/2017
Thank you for your letter, we had a marvellous holiday at Il Fontanile. We have already recommended your company to both friends and family as the attention to detail and care is exemplary, we were so delighted with the apartment,and facilities it was exactly as we had hoped. The guide to the area in the apartment and on the website are just such a helpful touch. We certainly hope to use you again. The one tiny suggestion that we would make would be that there are 2 shared outside areas to eat in but only a barbecue in one of them and we had 2 nights where more than 1 family were hoping to use them we all managed fine but 2 bbq's would have helped. Thank you again it was a special holiday as both daughters came as they are now away at university and it fulfilled all our hopes.Andrew and Catriona Laycock,Bardsey,Yorkshire,England 19/06/2017
Jetzt wo wir unseren letzten Tag hier geniessen, wissen wir gar nicht so recht, was uns am Besten gefallen hat. Die Villa mit Park, Pool und Privatstrand ist einzigartig. – da sind wir uns ganz sicher. Il Giardiano dei Tarocchi hat es uns ganz besonders angetan und auch unsere Kinder waren begeistert. Vulci ist auf jedem Fall eine Reise wert – Natur, Kultur und Geschichte so Nahe beinander und so eindrücklich. Capalbio, Monte Argentario, ... Vielen herzlichen Dank für die Gastfreundschaft!Marianne Breu & Tobias Zemp, Deutschland - Oktober 2007
We have spent a beautiful week here, the Villa and the surrounding garden are lovely. Although it is late October we have been able to swim in the sea and to enjoy visiting many of the stunning places around here, including Saturnia, Parco dell Ucellina and Vulci.Beat Neukomm, UK - October 2008
Il Fontanile was even more lovely than we thought it should be. We had a perfect week of holiday. We visited Saturnia, Pitigliano and Rome and spent lots of time in the swimming pool and or beach. Lunch at Ultima Spiaggia is really worth being! Thanks for your hospitality!Family Elmers., Netherlands - July 2008
Es war sehr schön in Il Fontanile. Besonders das Meer mit seinem schönen Strand und der Pool waren toll. Der weitläufige Garten ist schön und die selbst geernteten Tomaten haben sehr gut geschmeckt. Ausserdem sind wir gut Essen gegangen. Vielen Dank sagenFamilie Sch., Deutschland - September 2008
C’était super bien. La piscine était grande et chaude. Le domaine Fontanile était grand et on pouvait s’y promener (à pied, vélos).Les enfants de la famille B., France - Août 2008
Unsere Ferien auf "Il Fontanile" entsprachen unseren Erwartungen. Alles, was auf der Webseite angegeben war, war vorhanden und funktionierte (wir haben auch schon andere Erfahrungen gemacht). Die Wohnung ist mit Liebe zum Detail eingerichtet, die Ansprechpartnerin im Haus ist ausgesprochen zuvorkommend, Haus und Garten sind sehr gepflegt. Der Weg zum Strand oder auch andere Wege sind hervorragend zum Joggen geeignet. Auch wenn man nicht am Strand wohnt, ist an alles gedacht: Liegestühle und Sonnenschirme sind vorhanden. Erstaunt hat uns auch die große Anzahl der Fahrräder, die den Gästen zur Verfügung stehen. Das alles hat uns so begeistert, dass wir in diesem Jahr gleich nochmal hinfahren. Viele GrüßeDr. Sawka Böhm, Deutschland - Mai 2008
The nearest village, Pescia Romana, lies 4 km from Fontanili. Here you will find all you need, baker and butcher as well as a supermarket and, of course, a bar for your daily cappuccinos and a newsagent who also sells foreign newspapers.
- Pescia Romana, the village 4 km – 5 min
- Capalbio, a beautiful hilltop village 11 km – 13 min
- Montalto di Castro, the train station 15 km -15 min
- Tarquinia 35 km – 30 min
- Tuscania 40 km – 35 min
- Porto Ercole/Porto Santo Stefano 35 km – 40 min
- Grosseto 65 km – 1 hr
- Viterbo 65 km – 1 hr
- Rome 125 km – 1hr 30 min
- Siena 140 km – 1 hr 45 min
- Pisa 225 km – 2hr 30 min