Browse our Italian villas
OVERVIEW Castiglione Ugolino
The 11th-century Castiglione Ugolino sits within the Murlo estate atop a hill overlooking the rolling hills of Umbria. Completely restored in 2019, the ancient castle and adjoining church and annex boast a large infinity pool and close proximity to a renowned golf course. The well-appointed 10 bedrooms with their en-suite sumptuous marble bathrooms (6 in the main unit of the villa and 4 in the annex villa) make an ideal setting for large group holidays.
Due to the vast size of the 18,000-acre estate, the former castle benefits from a secluded location surrounded by greenery and manicured grounds. The extensive renovations have maintained the historic character of the buildings all the while adding luxurious modern amenities. Fresh white walls are juxtaposed to vaulted ceilings, terracotta-tiled floors, stone fireplaces and original wall paintings.
Guests can gather in the large open-plan ground floor living room which has a comfortable sitting area with attractive leather armchairs, a dining area and a large kitchen equipped with brand new top quality appliances. Guests can retreat for some privacy to the several other sitting areas around the villa or to their refined bedrooms which have super king-sized beds, personal sitting areas and deluxe en-suite bathrooms with marble fittings and large showers.
The castle’s outdoor spaces are equally inviting. You can bask in the sunshine on the sunbeds facing the infinity pool or read peacefully in the shaded courtyard. The covered pergola is the perfect place to take in the sunset over the valley before settling around the long dining table on the panoramic terrace for an dinner under the stars.
Adjacent to the villa is its private chapel, Santa Maria Maddalena, whose historic frescoes have been meticulously restored, making it an enchanting setting for weddings and other special occasions.
The annex lies on the opposite side of the pool. Further to its 4 bedrooms, it has a cosy sitting room and a full kitchen.
The castle is ideally positioned for enjoying the pleasures of this beautiful region of Italy. Golf fans need not go far as the estate is home to the world-class Antognolla 18-hole golf course. A short drive away is famous Lake Trasimeno where you can go swimming or on boat rides. Medieval Gubbio, the holy site of Assisi and the regional capital of Perugia all make for excellent day trips. Alternatively, the famous cities and sites of Tuscany can be reached in an hour or two’s drive.
Amenities and services
Villa is equiped with:
- Pool: 14 m x 4 m
- Private Pool
- Heated Pool
- Internet access
- Air conditioning
- Satellite TV
- Maid Service
- Bed & bath linens
- Final cleaning
- Pool towels
Service on request:
- First shopping
- Baby equipment
- Central heating
Floorplan of the villa
Living room with fireplace
King Bedroom with bathroom (shower)
King Bedroom with open bathroom (shower)
King Bedroom with bathroom (shower)
King bedroom with bathroom (shower) and shared terrace
Master Bedroom with bathroom (shower), and shared terrace
Loft King Bedroom with en-suite bathroom (shower)
Living room with fireplace
2 king bedrooms, each with en suite bathroom (shower)
1 king bedrooms with en suite bathroom (shower)
1 king bedroom with en suite bathroom (shower) up a few steps
The villa is surrounded by a private fenced and landscaped garden (1000 m2) with manicured lawns with outdoor seating, sunbeds by the 14 x 4 m (heated) pool and a panoramic dining terrace.
ESTATE: Tenuta di Murlo
Tenuta di Murlo is one of the most exclusive private country estates in Italy owned by the same family for generations. The estate of the castle of Murlo dominates the suggestive valley of Monte Tezio and it is located 20 km from Perugia and 15 km from lake Trasimeno.
With its 18 000 acres of immaculate woods, valleys, lakes and rivers, it is the perfect place for a relaxing and private holiday providing a degree of comfort and elegance that it is difficult to surpass. This haven of tranquility is the perfect setting for those who seek a holiday retreat from their frenetic lifestyles and an escape to something more spiritual and calm, enjoying the luxuries of time out and privacy, yet backed by a five-star service and by the facilities and commodities of the luxury golf resort of Antognolla, complete with 18 hole golf course, club and restaurant.
Read more about Tenuta di Murlo
- Umbria has an enormous variety and number of traditional feasts throughout the year. The local communities treat these events as an opportunity to confirm their roots and identity and it is a wonderful opportunity for tourists to experience genuine expressions of Umbrian culture and folklore. We can provice a month by month list of the events in the area of the Antognolla and Murlo Estates.
- to exemplify: Gubbio is known for its palio, the Corsa dei Ceri, a spectacular run held every year on May 15, in which three teams run through throngs of cheering supporters up much of the mountain from the main square in front of the Palazzo dei Consoli to the basilica of S. Ubaldo, each team carrying a statue of their saint.
- Gubbio is so perfect, it looks like a medieval movie set. The main monuments and sightseeings of the city include the Roman Theatre which is still in use for performances, the massive Palazzo dei Consoli, the duomo and the Palazzo Ducale.
- In Orvieto, don’t miss the fanciful Gothic Duomo, which soars seven stories high. Inside are magnificently vibrant and graphic frescoes of the Apocalypse by Luca Signorelli.
- In Assisi, you’ll want to visit the famous basilica dedicated to Italy’s patron saint, Francis. Frescoes by Giotto vividly tell the story of St. Francis’s life. In the Piazza del Comune you’ll find a church inserted into the remains of the ancient Temple of Minerva. Above town stands the Rocca Maggiore, a fortress that protected citizens during attacks. For a dose of nature and spiritual contemplation, walk to the hermitage, the Eremo dell Carceri.
- In Spoleto, visit the Roman theater and the archeological museum for a view of ancient Umbria. Go see the pre-Renaissance frescoes by Fra Lippo Lippi and Pinturicchio. The church of San Salvatore is one of Italy’s oldest and is set within the remains of an ancient Roman temple.
- In Deruta, stroll the color-splashed streets where Italy’s most famous hand-made ceramics are produced.
- Visit charming Citta’ di Castello, which packs a lot into such a small town, with palaces, churches, towers, and –of course- a castle, all sitting pretty and begging to be explored.
- In Todi you’ll find all the main sights conveniently concentrated onto the Gothic Piazza del Popolo, which is itself set over top of an ancient Roman cistern system. Below town is the striking Renaissance church of Santa Maria della Consolazione.
- In Perugia, be sure to see the frescoes by local artist Pietro Perugino in the Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria and in the town hall’s Sala del Cambio. Step back to ancient times at the Etruscan arch and Etruscan well. Enjoy the lively atmosphere at the large fountain, the Fontana Maggiore. Sample the chocolates named for the city.
- Perugia plays host to international visitors with its acclaimed annual Umbria Jazz Festival, held each July. A wildly popular chocolate festival every October pays homage to the city’s sweet side.
- Spoleto offers up culture, dramatic performances and musical concerts during the Festival dei Due Mondi.
- Gubbio’s Roman theatre is a dramatic setting for summertime, open-air performances.
- For children: Maridiana is a farm that breeds Alpacas, angora goats and selected sheep, situated in Tiber Valley approximately 10 minutes from Umbertide.
- Citta Della Domenica Park: A wonderful zoo / adventure land on the outskirts of Perugia. It features both domestic and wild animals, various play areas and a train. It is a lovely day out for the family with young children. www.cittadelladomenica.com
- ‘Parco del Sole’ is a wildlife park that stretches all along a river. There are about 300 species, and you can find a full series of services (bar and dining area, games area, football field, volley field, bowls field, picnic area) that will allow you to spend relaxing hours with the family. The park is situated just off the E45 south of Deruta, which is approximately a 40 minute drive from the villa. www.parcodelsole.com
- Perugina Chocolate Factory and Museum in Perugia: Any chocolate lover can take a trip to the nearby Perugina factory and visit the museum and take a guided tour of the factory. Free entry. Open Monday to Friday
(rates in € / week)2023
|Beds||Nights||Low season||Mid season||Mid season 2||High season|
* Low season :
* Mid season :07 January - 01 April 2023, 15 April - 20 May 2023, 07 October - 16 December 2023
* Mid season 2 :01 April - 15 April 2023, 20 May - 24 June 2023, 02 September - 07 October 2023, 16 December - 06 January 2024
* High season :24 June - 02 September 2023
GUEST REVIEWS, Castiglione Ugolino, Tenuta di Murlo
Our week at Ugolino is over and we can only thank you again. 👏👏👏
Without exception, everything worked out perfectly and our friends and we were absolutely thrilled.
The location, the entire crew of Il Caldaro, their warmth and professionalism also impressed us. TOP 👍👍👍
The Murlo estate lies in the heart of Umbria, only 20 km from the town of Perugia
- San Giovanni del Pantano – 2 minutes (small grocery store)
- Pierantonio 8 km – 10 min, small village with good choice of shops, bank, etc.
- Lake Trasimeno 15 km – 20 min
- Umbertide 15 km – 20 min
- Perugia 20 km – 25 min
- Gubbio 35 km – 35 min
- Città di Castello 35 km – 30 min
- Deruta 45 km – 35 min
- Assisi 47 km – 40 min
- Cortona 48 km – 45 min
- Spello 52 km – 35 min
- Foligno 58 km – 45 min
- Montepulciano 64 km – 1 hr
- Todi 70 km – 1 hr
- Spoleto 84 km – 1 hr
- Rome 211 km – 2 hr 30 min