OVERVIEW Villa Penna
Found on a vast private estate in the Umbrian hills, this beautifully restored villa has an infinity pool, wonderful outdoor living spaces and soaring views rolling hills, olive groves and forests. The perfect base for golfers or simply those looking for a luxurious countryside getaway in this authentic region of Italy.
The villa is nestled on an hill within the noble Murlo estate, one of the largest private estates in the country. The 18,000-acre estate also plays host to the Antognolla 18-hole golf course and Il Caldaro restaurant, ideal for those who would like to take a break from cooking.
The extensive renovations carried out in 2019 have retained the villa’s historic features, like stonework and wooden beams, while bringing it into the 21st century thanks to the addition of the latest appliances, luxurious fittings and a sleek infinity pool.
The complex is made up of a main villa, an annex and pool cottage. The main villa is home to a well-equipped kitchen, dining room, living area and two of the bedrooms. Two other bedrooms are found in the annex. The four en-suite bedrooms are individually decorated and have super-king sized beds, lovely headboards with colorful floral motifs and en-suite bathrooms with marble fittings and extra large showers.
The pool cottage has been transformed into an additional living room, with both an interior lounge and a pergola sitting area that overlooks the pool and the undulating hills of the valley. The L-shaped infinity pool includes a shallow “beach” area and is bordered by sunbeds.
The views can continue to be enjoyed from the shaded sitting area between the main villa and the annex as well as from the al frescodining terrace with a woodfire oven.
The villa is well located for discovering the cultural, culinary and natural pleasures of Umbria. Regional capital Perugia and famous Lake Trasimeno can be reached in less than 30 minutes whereas there are a number of picturesque medieval towns to explore in the vicinity. Many famous sites in Tuscany are only an hour or two drive away.
Amenities and services
Villa is equiped with:
- Pool: 4m x 14 m pool with a 4 m x 4 m shallow beach area
- Private Pool
- Heated Pool
- Internet access
- Air conditioning
- Hifi stereo
- Satellite TV
- Maid Service
- Bed & bath linens
- Midweek change of towels
- Final cleaning
- Pool towels
Service on request:
- First shopping
- Maid service
- Baby equipment
- Central heating
Floorplan of the villa
Sitting room with fireplace
Large open kitchen with dining room
King size double bedroom
En-suite bathroom (shower)
King size Double bedroom with en suite bathroom (shower)
King size double bedroom with en suite bathroom (shower) on higher level
King size double bedroom with en suite bathroom (shower)
4m x 14 m pool with a 4 m x 4 m shallow beach area
Pool house with indoor and outdoor living room
Outdoor dining table
Spacious grounds with manicured lawns, sitting areas and flowerbeds
ESTATE: Tenuta di Murlo
Tenuta di Murlo is one of the most exclusive private country estates in Italy owned by the same family for generations. The estate of the castle of Murlo dominates the suggestive valley of Monte Tezio and it is located 20 km from Perugia and 15 km from lake Trasimeno.
With its 18 000 acres of immaculate woods, valleys, lakes and rivers, it is the perfect place for a relaxing and private holiday providing a degree of comfort and elegance that it is difficult to surpass. This haven of tranquility is the perfect setting for those who seek a holiday retreat from their frenetic lifestyles and an escape to something more spiritual and calm, enjoying the luxuries of time out and privacy, yet backed by a five-star service and by the facilities and commodities of the luxury golf resort of Antognolla, complete with 18 hole golf course, club and restaurant.
Read more about Tenuta di Murlo
- Umbria has an enormous variety and number of traditional feasts throughout the year. The local communities treat these events as an opportunity to confirm their roots and identity and it is a wonderful opportunity for tourists to experience genuine expressions of Umbrian culture and folklore. We can provice a month by month list of the events in the area of the Antognolla and Murlo Estates.
- to exemplify: Gubbio is known for its palio, the Corsa dei Ceri, a spectacular run held every year on May 15, in which three teams run through throngs of cheering supporters up much of the mountain from the main square in front of the Palazzo dei Consoli to the basilica of S. Ubaldo, each team carrying a statue of their saint.
- Gubbio is so perfect, it looks like a medieval movie set. The main monuments and sightseeings of the city include the Roman Theatre which is still in use for performances, the massive Palazzo dei Consoli, the duomo and the Palazzo Ducale.
- In Orvieto, don’t miss the fanciful Gothic Duomo, which soars seven stories high. Inside are magnificently vibrant and graphic frescoes of the Apocalypse by Luca Signorelli.
- In Assisi, you’ll want to visit the famous basilica dedicated to Italy’s patron saint, Francis. Frescoes by Giotto vividly tell the story of St. Francis’s life. In the Piazza del Comune you’ll find a church inserted into the remains of the ancient Temple of Minerva. Above town stands the Rocca Maggiore, a fortress that protected citizens during attacks. For a dose of nature and spiritual contemplation, walk to the hermitage, the Eremo dell Carceri.
- In Spoleto, visit the Roman theater and the archeological museum for a view of ancient Umbria. Go see the pre-Renaissance frescoes by Fra Lippo Lippi and Pinturicchio. The church of San Salvatore is one of Italy’s oldest and is set within the remains of an ancient Roman temple.
- In Deruta, stroll the color-splashed streets where Italy’s most famous hand-made ceramics are produced.
- Visit charming Citta’ di Castello, which packs a lot into such a small town, with palaces, churches, towers, and –of course- a castle, all sitting pretty and begging to be explored.
- In Todi you’ll find all the main sights conveniently concentrated onto the Gothic Piazza del Popolo, which is itself set over top of an ancient Roman cistern system. Below town is the striking Renaissance church of Santa Maria della Consolazione.
- In Perugia, be sure to see the frescoes by local artist Pietro Perugino in the Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria and in the town hall’s Sala del Cambio. Step back to ancient times at the Etruscan arch and Etruscan well. Enjoy the lively atmosphere at the large fountain, the Fontana Maggiore. Sample the chocolates named for the city.
- Perugia plays host to international visitors with its acclaimed annual Umbria Jazz Festival, held each July. A wildly popular chocolate festival every October pays homage to the city’s sweet side.
- Spoleto offers up culture, dramatic performances and musical concerts during the Festival dei Due Mondi.
- Gubbio’s Roman theatre is a dramatic setting for summertime, open-air performances.
- For children: Maridiana is a farm that breeds Alpacas, angora goats and selected sheep, situated in Tiber Valley approximately 10 minutes from Umbertide.
- Citta Della Domenica Park: A wonderful zoo / adventure land on the outskirts of Perugia. It features both domestic and wild animals, various play areas and a train. It is a lovely day out for the family with young children. www.cittadelladomenica.com
- ‘Parco del Sole’ is a wildlife park that stretches all along a river. There are about 300 species, and you can find a full series of services (bar and dining area, games area, football field, volley field, bowls field, picnic area) that will allow you to spend relaxing hours with the family. The park is situated just off the E45 south of Deruta, which is approximately a 40 minute drive from the villa. www.parcodelsole.com
- Perugina Chocolate Factory and Museum in Perugia: Any chocolate lover can take a trip to the nearby Perugina factory and visit the museum and take a guided tour of the factory. Free entry. Open Monday to Friday
(rates in € / week)2023
|Beds||Nights||Low season||Mid season||Mid season 2||High season|
* Low season :
* Mid season :07 January - 01 April 2023, 15 April - 20 May 2023, 07 October - 16 December 2023
* Mid season 2 :01 April - 15 April 2023, 20 May - 24 June 2023, 02 September - 07 October 2023, 16 December - 06 January 2024
* High season :24 June - 02 September 2023
GUEST REVIEWS, Villa Penna, Tenuta di Murlo
The Murlo estate lies in the heart of Umbria, only 20 km from the town of Perugia
- San Giovanni del Pantano – 2 minutes (small grocery store)
- Pierantonio 8 km – 10 min, small village with good choice of shops, bank, etc.
- Lake Trasimeno 15 km – 20 min
- Umbertide 15 km – 20 min
- Perugia 20 km – 25 min
- Gubbio 35 km – 35 min
- Città di Castello 35 km – 30 min
- Deruta 45 km – 35 min
- Assisi 47 km – 40 min
- Cortona 48 km – 45 min
- Spello 52 km – 35 min
- Foligno 58 km – 45 min
- Montepulciano 64 km – 1 hr
- Todi 70 km – 1 hr
- Spoleto 84 km – 1 hr
- Rome 211 km – 2 hr 30 min