OVERVIEW Nando + Camino
This charming cottage on the estate La Montecchia lies next to the offices of the wine estate. While you might have some passers by during the day, once the offices close no one will disturb your calm and privacy. The garden at the back of the house offers you quiet and calm also during the day.
The rooms are light and airy and have been furnished in a traditional way with modern touches. This is a very friendly and comfortable house.
The house was fully restored between in 2001 (upper floor) and 2007 (ground floor), and newly decorated in 2010.
The spacious outdoor pool (ideal for laps) at the adjoining golf club is open from the beginning of June to the end of August. Guests of La Montecchia can use the pool at a reduced rate, the pool is closed with bad weather. Additionally, guests may enjoy the organically shaped lake pool on the estate, surrounded by comfortable sunbeds. The pool is shared with all guests of La Montecchia. The pool on the estate is open from beginning of May to end of September.
The closest village – Selvazzano – is at a distance of 3 km. The Italian cuisine can be found at its best in the Veneto region. A list of restaurants of the surrounding area can be found in each of the houses. The adjacent Golf Club has two convenient restaurants. The Montecchia Green is an informal place with a nice terrace that serves light meals. On the first floor you will find the Ristorante La Montecchia which serves haute cuisine and has an excellent wine list.
Amenities and services
Villa is equiped with:
- Pool: 25 x 10m
- Internet access
- Air conditioning
- Hifi stereo
- Dogs welcome
- Bed & bath linens
- Baby equipment
- Final cleaning
- Central heating, air conditioning in the bedrooms
Service on request:
- Maid service
Floorplan of the villa
Living and dining room with fireplace
Kitchen with dining table
1 bathroom (tub)
Closed in garden for outdoor meals.
Access at a reduced rate to the pool (25×10) belonging to the adjacent Montecchia golf club, only 3 minutes walk away. Organically shaped lake pool on the estate.
ESTATE: La Montecchia
A wine estate in Venetia
A precious jewel set in a legendary landscape – might yet be the most apt definition of La Montecchia, a wine estate which lies just south of Padua and on the borders of a National Park, within easy reach of such cultural meccas as Venice, Vicenza, Verona, Ferrara, Mantua and Rovigo.
The owner of the Montecchia estate, Count Emo Capodilista, a trend-setter in the Veneto, has restored the individual cottages on the estate with flair and modern comfort. Each house has a personality of its own and its own garden where you will want to wine and dine.
Adjacent to the estate lies th La Montecchia golf club which has a large pool and two convenient restaurants. The pool is open to guests 6 days a week, from Tuesday to Sunday.
Your busy schedule hunting down the works of famous artists and architects needs to be punctuated by memorable meals at local trattorias, for the best of Italian cooking.
The wine from La Montecchia has increasingly been winning accolades from leading wine critics all over the world. In 2008 their wine Donna Daria was awarded the highest Italian qualification, the „tre bicchieri“ (three glasses) of the guide Gambero Rosso Slow Food. Guests can freely taste and buy the wines of La Montecchia on the premises (special rates for guests). La Montecchia is a medieval hamlet which grows lively at the time of harvest.
In 2012 the La Montecchia estate fulfilled its dream of exclusively using solar energy, produced by a large number of panels invisible to the eye as they spread out over the flat roof of the wine cellar. Well done La Montecchia!
Grottoes: From April to October every Thursday at 10am (except national holidays) the owners of the nearby estate Frassanelle, will take you on a guided tour of the premises. They will give you some history of the Papafava dei Carraresi family, descendants of the Lords of Padua and some information on the flora and fauna found in the park. The tour will include a visit of the villa and the family chapel. Highlight of the tour are the surprisingly large artificial grottoes built at the end of the 19th century under the main villa. Visits in english.Read more about La Montecchia
- The great cultural wealth of the Veneto region and its diversity is one of the main interests of the journey.
- The Venetian Villas: More than 3,000 villas were built in the hinterland of Venice between the 15th and 19th century. Some are open to the public. The most famous are the Palladian villas such as Villa Barbaro at Maser, Villa Emo at Fanzolo and La Rotonda near Vincenza. Do not miss the Villa Valmarana “Ai Nani” with frescoes by Tiepolo, Catajo castle and villa Barbarigo with its baroque garden and a maze of boxwood.
- Major cultural centres of northern Italy: The strategic position of La Montecchia make easy visits to Padua, Venice, Vicenza, Verona, Ferrara, Lake Garda, Este, Montagnana, Monselice or Arqua’ Petrarca. Each of these provincial towns offers a multitude of rewarding cultural visits.
- In Venice you will have the opportunity to visit any of the 84 churches present in the city, including of course the Basilica of St. Marco, which stands next to the Doge’s Palazzo, one of the main landmarks of Venice. You can also visit the islands, such as Murano, famous for its beautiful hand blown glass.
- 40 km from Venice, you will find Padua . If you had to choose one thing to see, it would be the Cappella degli Scrovegni, a chapel entirely painted with frescoes by Giotto in the 14th century. This is considered the work which marks the beginning of the Renaissance. The main museum of Padua exposes the Emo Capodilista collection, given to the Municipality of Padua by the owners of La Montecchia. The Palazzo della Ragione (Palace of Reason), a surprising builing which rises above all the rest of the historical center of Padua exposes another gift made by this family to the municipality, a sumptuous wooden horse.
- At Vicenza you will be dazzled by Palladio’s genius. The beauty of the Olympic Theatre, an embodiment of Andrea Palladio, the Palladian Basilica, another of his masterworks, or the Loggia del Capitano. The small streets of this compact city want to be explored on foot, which will bring an exciting reward at each 20 steps you take.
- The city of Verona contains many treasures: start with the Roman monuments, such as the Roman Arena. Garden lovers will want to visit the Giardino Giusti. The San Zeno church will stay with you for long. Every day the Piazza delle Erbe, a beautiful square in the center of town has a colourful market.
- Asolo is a small town, famous for its lace and silk weaving . It is also resplendent with monuments, such as the remains of an amphitheatre and an aqueduct, the Rocca (castle of the 12th early 13th century), or you can visit the Palazzo della Ragione which has now become the museum of the city. In the last century it was a privileged resort by artists and writers such as Hemingway and Browning and the famous Eleonora Duse.
- The town of Bassano del Grappa is located in the heart of Veneto at the foot of the Alps. The main productions of Bassano are white asparagus, ceramics, and of course grappa. You must see the Cathedral (Duomo), the Castello Superiore (Upper Castle), or the Church of St. John the Baptist.
- The Euganean Hills (protected since 1989) is located south of Padua. There are many small towns to visit such as Este, Montagnana, Monselice and Arqua ‘Petrarca. And let yourself be tempted by small local trattorias!
- The thermal baths of Abano: Only 3km from La Montecchia is the town of Abano Terme, a spa where mineral-rich waters emerge at a temperature of 70°C to 80°C. We recommend a day at the spas of one of the luxurious hotels.
(rates in € / week)2022
|Beds||Nights||Low season||Mid season||Mid season 2||High season|
* Low season :8 January - 9 April 2022, 2 November - 20 December 2022
* Mid season :9 April - 21 May 2022, 24 September - 28 October 2022
* Mid season 2 :21 May - 2 July 2022, 27 August - 24 September 2022, 28 October - 2 November 2022, 20 December 2022 - 8 January 2023
* High season :2 July - 27 August 2022
GUEST REVIEWS, Nando + Camino, La Montecchia
We had a great time in Casa del Prete. We went to Venice with the train and then on a water bus. We also went to Padua and touched St. Antony’s tomb. But on the way back we got a little lost but we got back in the end ! We also went to the pool in the golf club. It is a very big pool, and I loved the diving board ! We will hope to come back again.Hazel (12 years old), Ireland, 30/06/2013
La Montecchia lies 15 km to the south-east of Padua, bordering the regional park of the „colli euganei“ and very close to cultural highlights as Venice, Vincenza, Verona, Ferrara, Mantova and Rovigo. You will also want to visit this region to see the famous Palladio villas.
- Selvazzano, the nearest village 1 km – 5 min
- Abano 5 km – 10 min
- Padua 14 km – 20 min
- Vicenza 40 km – 40 min
- Venice 53 km – 40 min
- Asolo 65 km – 1 hr
- Ferrara 80 km – 1 hr
- Verona 85 km – 1 hr
- Lake Garda 100 km – 1 hr 15 min
- Bologna 120 km – 1 hr 15 min